Monday, June 11, 2007

I should put something here.

Listening to:
Tarantula
from the album "Tarantula - Single" by Smashing Pumpkins

It's all about my personally felt obligation to put something on the blog. It's what brings me back here each time. Suffer with me.

There's actually quite a lot for me to talk about.
I downloaded the full season of Heroes, after the barrage of praise the show got from those around me who'd actually seen it. I'd never buy the DVD upon it's release, nor rent it, so I don't feel as though I've done anything wrong. If anything, it simply ensured that I'll tune in next year to watch it. Besides, I don't have any intention of keeping it on the hard drive, or backing it up. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

If Heroes was crack, I'd be a junkee. 'Nuff said.

***
I'd been wanting to pick up the book for a long time. I almost picked it up during a day trip to Hong Kong, although I was afraid of what might happen to me if I got caught bringing back across the border to the mainland. I saw it at Chapters @ 20% off-- I couldn't say no this time.
Mao - The Unknown Story by Jung Chang and Jon Halliday is an unauthorized biography about Mao Tse Tung, the not so founding member of the Chinese Communist Party--one fact that you'll find within this books pages. Also within it's covers is some 150 pages of bibliographical references. I guess you could say this book was well researched.
Grindy gave me The Templars to read while I was off to China, but in all honesty, I don't think I got more then ten pages into it. This book, however, has me hooked. Likely because it's of a topic that's a little closer to me, given my time in China, not to mention my wife. It's powerfully written, although it's a little more than obvious that there's a little bias in there. Despite that, it's an interesting read. It'll be the first biographical/historical book that I've actually read. Heck, it made me put down "Neuromancer" by William Gibson. It's that good. If you're interested in modern historical reading at all, this book is definitely worth checking out.

A bit of a spoiler here-- Mao dies.


"Mao: the Unknown Story" (Jung Chang, Jon Halliday)

No comments: