Sunday, May 20, 2007

A pop-culture quickie.

I don't know if I ever mentioned it, so I'm going to today. The reason? Because it was thrown in my face for the umpteenth time.
Hong Kong actors got it made. I doubt many of you have paid much attention to Hong Kong cinema. If you have, then you'll notice something-- it's always the same freakin' actors. What's more, these actors also dominate the TV scene as well.
There's this one actress whose name I'll likely never know, that I've seen in at least FOUR shows in the past year. And it's not that she's all that pretty or anything. She's way too thin, although she does have the heavily sought after high cheek bones and pale skin. I've had the TVB channels for not even a year, which also makes this rather shocking. There's even this same blond white guy that seems to make a cameo appearance in every contemporary program. It's weird.
To counter my point (always have to be fair), HK TV works a little differently than North American. A show basically has a set number of episodes, and then it's done. It's rare that a show goes beyond that. There's one called Healing Hands which I know has gone to an unlikely third series.
Secondly, most shows don't run weekly, the run M-F or throughout the weekend, and thus end very quickly. This fact also contributes the frequency of need for popular actors.

The moral of this story is.. my cats take big poops.

No comments: