Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Sick as a dog, but able to blog.

So yeah. Pretty sick. A veritable poopcano™ (I stole this from Kyle) out of the upper and lower major orifices. I think I'm finally on the mend, though. I haven't been this sick in a long time. It was similar to the second time I got food poisoning in Nanning. Not to regale you with my poop adventures, but today I find myself pooped out. There's nothing left. The mighty Mississippi ran dry. I'll be glad to get back to work tomorrow (as freaky as that sounds). I tired of sitting on the pot, not to mention there's a circle of pain that surfaces anytime my ass finds itself on the throne. Yes, I've been on it that much. 'nuff said.
I also miss being hungry.

I don't think it's much of a secret that I have the seeded desire to be re-educated. I've developed that thirst for knowledge, not so much to help further my career more-so for my own personal fulfillment. Something to help feed the whole pride and dignity. There are very few things more personally satisfying than to be able to say "I did that."
Grindy has decided to take a stab at Athebasca University, and one of their HR Programs. It's a cost of over $600 per 3 credit course. Let's do some basic math.

$600
x 30 (the amount of 3 credit course to achieve a BA)
$18,000 (or $6000/year for a 30 credit year)

Granted, you're not paying all this with one lump sum. In reality, you could be looking at a time period that could span over a decade. It all depends on how much time you can put into the courses. If you were to actually attend a university, you'd be looking at a yearly basic tuition of around $4250, but this doesn't cover any of your learning materials and other various University add-ons.
You have to question whether it's worth the expense. Some might say you can't really put a price on education.

Will I decide to go this route? It's tempting, but the cost does scare me a little. On top of that, I worry about how much this would interfere with my Mandarin language acquisition. Also, I ponder what actual program to take. Poli-Sci interests me, as well as their English program.
For now this is all talk and speculation. It is something that I am regularly contemplating though.

No comments: