Thursday, December 07, 2006

Blue October in White December

Listening to:
You Make Me Smile
from the album "Foiled" by Blue October
In some ways I'm glad I've decided to pay for the majority of my music downloads. Just like copied games on the XBOX, when I don't pay for something, I'm rather indiscriminate and I don't appreciate them. Others that I know went the now defunct, AllofMp3.com route. It was cheap (literally cents), you had your selection of bit rates, there were no DRM's, and best of all, you were always sure of what were getting; something you couldn't be sure of when taking the P2P roads. I opted to not use their services for a couple of reasons: Artists were not receiving a dime from those sales and also because I'm a Mac whore.

In September I found myself in Hamilton doing security at a hotel that was being erected (HA, I said erected). One early morning the radio was on and I heard the track "Hate Me" by Blue October. I liked it. I liked it enough to download at the cost of $0.99. I didn't bother sampling the album, as I figured it would probably suck like the majority of music on the radio. After I started picking up the guitar again, I learned the chords for the song and now I can almost play it in a mediocre fashion. Progress, yeah.
Yesterday I was checking for new music on the iTunes store, checking up on the new Incubus album which I found less than purchase worthy. Sad, but true. Also on the list of new was a Blue October EP. This started me on the path of actually giving them half a chance and you know, I actually liked what I heard. $10 later, I have the album downloaded and I'm enjoying it.
Foiled has a modern rock/alternative feel to it, but also incorporates the occasional 80's new wave synth or the Staind, I'm unhappy as all f--- (I believe that's been diagnosed as emo?). Currently I'm really digging the track "Into the Ocean," but I also like the album as a whole.
Being that I really don't really listen to the radio or watch Much anymore, my opinions on this album may be somewhat distorted, but one thing I'm finding out about music is this; ignorance is bliss. You enjoy music so much more that way.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: