Monday, January 01, 2007

The best of 2K6

So the man made marker of 2006 ended a short time ago. And what comes with the end of a year? Why, the best of whatever for that 365 day period.
So without further adieu, I bring to you my own personal list of:

2006: The best Of

Favourite Album: I have to give some serious thought to this one. There were a couple of albums that I found had played numerous times into my desiring ears. The runners up would probably be Jurassic 5's Feedback and Blue October's Foiled. But after all is said and done, the Deluxe Edition of Barenaked Ladies Are Me probably takes the cake for this category. After the disappointment that was Everything to Everyone, this double disc collection was fantastic. Not a track I didn't like. Way to go BNL. You won me back.

Favourite Movie: I didn't see a lot in the way of movies this year. After Chinese Customs didn't return the DVD's which they stole from me, I kind of lost interest in rebuilding my collection. Despite that, I did get out to see Silent Hill, the horrible 3D remake of Night of the Living Dead and Clerks II. None of these movies really deserves the title of favourite movie. So I'll have to go with the DVD I most enjoyed watching this year, regardless of when it was made. The rediscovery of Donny Darko easily takes that category. That movie is fucked up, and I love it.

Favourite Anime Movie or Series: Like the Favourite Album category, this one is a little hard to decide on. Death Note and Kanon are both great series, but I think Nana has me by the balls. Sure it's a chick series, but I'm hooked.

Lastly and most importantly...

Favourite Moment: Unarguably, 2006 was a difficult year for me. Stumbling block against stumbling block career wise, some horrible car expenses, personal conflicts, and an overall uncertainty about my own future. All problems aside, there were some great times to be had as well. The Oilers made it to the cup final, which no one would have guessed. High up there would also be the marriages of two of my closest friends. I also discovered ChinesePod.com and their podcast for learning Chinese. However, in the name of selfishness and pride, I'd have to say the best moment was getting the phone call on Wednesday December 13 to tell me that I was back into the world of careers and salary. Goose-bumps, people. It gave me goose-bumps. After trying for over a year to land myself back into a career, it finally came to fruition. It really was quite the way to finish off the year. I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas gift.

So there you have it. The best things about 2006 according to me. I hope to read the opinions of this year according to some select others. Hopefully I'll get to read them soon.

Technorati Tags: , ,

2 comments:

Grindy said...

Thanks man I already ripped this off for myself! :)

TheRoss said...

w00t! Here's to 2007!