Friday, October 13, 2006

Too Old to be Otaku?

Some people will argue that you're never too old for anything. That sounds all too good in theory, but in reality the majority of us know that this is not true. There comes a point in time where it becomes harder and harder to fit in.
Maybe I'm just self conscious, but when I start surfing the user forums of various anime-related sites I feel like a freak. It's obvious with the topics at hand as well as the writing styles that the majority of the users are high school and college/university students. Here I am, 29 in less than a month, and I'm trying to hang out with the young-ins. It's kind of like that one guy in high school that never leaves; always coming in for a visit or participating in events related to his past scholastic institution. What kind of loser am I?
I find it all rather frustrating, as I feel my youth slowly slipping away and knowing that there's not a single god damned thing I can do about it. That's probably why I'm here. That's probably why I want to take part and join in on all the fun I used to have. I want to feel young, but every time I try and feel that much older. What a conundrum.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you mean young'uns...