Monday, April 02, 2007

Are we lonely? (7 of 28)

I don't know if I'm a product of Douglas Coupland novels, or whether I just happen to sing the same songs that he writes about.
Currently on the table is Shampoo Planet, which came after his first breakthrough novel (and still my favourite), Generation X. I'm not going to review it. I'm just letting you know the ingredients of my brain stew. The second ingredient would be none other than the Strange Birds disc (see day 2). These two prime ingredients are what's writing this post for me.
As a people, we are constantly trying to achieve intimacy and closeness with someone. We make friends, lovers, life and/or marriage partners, etc. Yet somehow I sometimes think that despite these people in our lives, we are ultimately still quite the lonely people. That's an issue with free will. We can do anything we choose to do (consequences and all), we make our own decisions, we have our own thoughts, we lead our own lives. But having this free will and individuality also isolates us from a collective form of being. We are cut off from the feelings and thoughts of others, unless they are willing to share. Even then, you have the barrier of communication which can cause loss of meaning or half-truths.
We can keep people close to us, and we can share our thoughts and ideas. Although this may be enough for most of us, I don't think we can truly be 100% connected to anyone else. That's what makes us human. That's what makes us individuals. Is there something greater than what we are living? Something where we are never alone? To that, I have no answer. I have no recollection of ever being there.

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: